6–7 September 2012 | Tallinn, Estonia
At the conference, authors of the BACC II assessment will present the latest published findings on climate change and its various impacts on the Baltic Sea region. The assessment which is an update to the BACC book of 2008 will be published as a text book in 2013. Scientists, stakeholders and the interested public are invited. The conference is free (no fees).
The conference will be an opportunity for scientists working on climate change related topics in the Baltic Sea region to discuss the latest published findings presented by the BACC II authors, and for stakeholders operating in climate change relevant fields in the Baltic Sea region, to gather up-to-date information and communicate with experts.
The first day of the conference will be dedicated to the scientific discussion while the second day will be dedicated to creating public awareness.
The conference will be co-organized by BALTEX, the interdisciplinary research network for the Baltic Sea basin and HELCOM, the Baltic Marine Environment Protection Commission, as well as the Marine Systems Institute Tallinn (Estonia), the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) and Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (Germany).
The objective of BACC II is an update to the BACC book, covering 6 years of new findings and new aspects. The purpose of the first BACC assessment was to provide the scientific community with an assessment of ongoing climate variation and change in the Baltic Sea basin and its impacts on the environment and the human sphere.
Some aspects of regional climate change will be treated in more detail in BACC II. These include:
- An assessment of past climate variability in the Baltic Sea region over the Holocene (10.000 years back) and the past 1.000 years)
- A more detailed analysis of sea level change in the Baltic Sea
- A critical description of methods for describing regional climate futures
- An assessment of climate change impacts on socio-economic properties, e.g. on cities
- A chapter on attributing causes of regional climate change
The BACC II Conference has two major goals:
- to discuss and review the new scientific results and developments with the scientific community
- to create awareness of the BACC II results and possible related societal implications in relevant stakeholders and the public in large.
Further information about the conference venue, deadlines and registration, as well as the programme will be available shortly on the BACC II web site www.baltex-research.eu/BACC2